Saturday, July 18, 2009

Too Young to Die...

Breezing through the posts on Facebook yesterday I came across a post from a high school friend. It was obvious she was shocked and hurt, having just found out about the death of a friend. I read it and felt sad, and thought - I hope that he had a nice life... and then a few minutes later I stopped cold in my chair and went back to her post. Paul Mclaughlin... I knew a Paul Mclaughlin. I quickly searched his name on Faceook, and linked onto the one that my friend was linked to, and scrolled his friend list. It didn't take long for me to sadly realize this was my old friend Paul. We had been out of touch for several years and yet he was one of the best people I've had the opportunity to cross paths with.
Back in my 20's, I remember meeting him - a crowded night at Dailey's Bar - his wit and sarcasm was blended perfectly with niceness. Our circles of friends intersected often enough that the lines blurred and became one. I remember I never spent time around him without laughing at myself, while at the same time never feeling like the butt of the joke. What I remember the most is taking him to a Sharks Game... and sitting outside the stadium after the game - having the most amazing talk about life. My friend Paul was not well - he had lupus - with many complications. And yet he had the most amazing outlook of anyone I knew. I remember not taking things for granted for a long time after that... until slowly his words faded, like a favorite old pair of jeans that get forgotten when the new ones get placed in the closet.
I'm sad I fell out of touch with Paul.... He was a marvelous person.

I have been thinking alot about my friend Thom Mannarino lately. His death still sits unsettled in my heart. I always thought I'd be an old woman drinking cocktails at my friend Jens house - listening to old Madonna, and reminiscing about our wild younger days. In that picture I always imagined Thom's laughter as Jen suggested something inappropriate.... that only she could get away with.

I miss you Thommy and Paul. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the memories and for the laughs and for the friendship.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your friend Donna. I hope you had a good run at Wharf to Wharf. The weather was great, wasn't it! ~D

Jenn Tornatore Knutson said...

I've been thinking about you and logged onto your blog to see how things are going. You've always been a great writer. Reading your blog about Paul got me thinking about Thommy and then I read that you had Thommy on your mind too. Just Friday, I was talking with Becky about that dinner we had at Lark Creek Inn, and of course who could forget you and I introducing Thommy to the wonderful world of Indian Springs and the Mud Bath - think dead cats! He always made us smile, and laugh and feel soooo sexy! I too am unsettled w/his death and can't believe a light that burned so bright and touched so many people, was hurting so much inside.

I miss you! Let's get together when the store opens - if you have a grand opening party - please invite me.

Good luck w/your 1/2 marathon.

Love and Miss You D!

Jenn

Cyn said...

Thom and I were friends for years but had fallen out of contact a bit before he died. I googled him today just for the hell of it. I don't think we know each other, but I'm really thankful that this blog post is here, and that his name is here.

Unknown said...

So many people loved Thom and miss him. I'm one of them. I google him occasionally and, like his friend above, I like finding his name on different blogs and in various publications. Somehow, it's a continued connection.