Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Binky Fairy


Today Sela gave up her Binky. As I am typing this my bottom lip is quivering, because I realize this is a transition from baby to little girl. I have a lump in my throat because I know how much she loved her "mouth night night" as she calls it.... and I know that I will never get to be the one that finds her binky when she loses it... and have that moment where her who face lights up and she giggles with glee.... all for a silly little piece of plastic.

We went to the dentist last week, and the dentist said it's time. Sela promptly got sick - so I waited a few days... but on the eve of her third birthday I saw the opportunity.
I asked her who her binky should go to a boy baby or a girl baby - and she said, I think a boy baby... with dark curly hair.
I asked her what she wanted from the binky fairy, and she said, "I think a little toy pet and pet shop with a little girl. I was amazed that I found something that fit the bill. (I'll post the pictures tomorrow).
We took her Hello Kitty Castle and put the binky on the top for the fairy. Sela asked if she could have it back if she became a baby again. I tried not to cry.
Meanwhile, Zach kept asking to the call the fairy so he could see her - then he wanted her number so he could dial her himself to ask her to some early.... I told him the Binky fairy was nocturnal - and since he knows all about owls he accepted this and gave up.
She went to bed with no tears. Me? I'm bawling like a baby - because my baby is growing up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, the note from the Binky Fairy is cute beyond words. You are an amazing mom!
xoxo
sw

Jeanne said...

Oh wow! This makes me teary-eyed as well. How awesome are you?? Now if there was a way to do this with thumb-suckers...I'd be all over it! LOL

Truly this is sweet and precious.

Dawn said...

i remember when my own children said goodby to binkie...and than my gd ... i think it was harder on me than them....what a nice way you did this!!
dewnie

Heather said...

I feel the angst that's been wringing your heart... Amanda had to have her four top front teeth pulled at one time because of nerve damage. And the whole event was probably more traumatic for my DH and me than her, but seeing her mouth full of bloody gauze and bawling because her mouth was numb... oh, I could barely keep it together. I'm happy to report that life does mosy on in a happy way, and now she smiles widely with a cute little gap.

Miss Sela is still your baby girl - just with less plastic. :)

{{{hugs}}}