Friday, February 15, 2008

Goodbye My Friend. We will miss you



So I'm sitting here at the computer with tears in my eyes... Sela has finally fallen asleep for the first night without her pacifier. Oh how she loved her "mouth night night". That is what Zach called them - and the name just stuck - Sela adopted it, along with her love for the little suckey.
Today we had a little power play going on. Sela has been tearing up her bed at nap time, and I told her if she did it again, she would lose her pacifier... for good. (probably an over reaction from me... - but I have been fighting a nasty cold for days and just wanted her to nap so SHE too can get over her cold.) So she calls out to me a bit later... and I go in and her room is torn apart again. So I picked up her "night night" and told her to say Goodbye - and she smiled and said, "bye bye night night" (obviously not believing I would actually get rid of it.)
So night time rolls around.... and we put her to bed, and she said, "I want my mouth night night." And I said Sela - you know you can't have it anymore. And her eyes well up with tears and she says, "but I love it." At this point I'm feeling like the meanest mom in the entire world. But we had talked about it several times during the day. So she cried and cried... and I cried. And I got myself together, and went in and rocked her, and got her to stop crying, and put her back to bed, and she wimpered for a few more minutes and then fell asleep.
So Sela - I just want you to know that this hurt me just as much as you... maybe more, as I am still wiping away the tears. My little baby is quickly becoming a little girl... and I'm not sure I am ready for it.
I love you Ci... slow down for Mama, ok?

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh my goodness! What a poignant story! I'm sitting here with tears welling up myself. How sad and sweet at the same time. What got me was the plaintive "I love it." And seeing the photo of the binky. You've definitely hit the mark on journaling this!

Sniff, sniff...but I'm glad she was able to fall asleep...

Carol said...

Ohh Donna, big hugs to you. Don't you hate those times when you know you have to do something that is going to upset a little one.
Carol :-)

Jackie said...

Oh children...........they do eventually grow up and understand...enjoy her youth :)