Saturday, February 16, 2008

I Couldn't do it...

 


Tonight, after a fun day with the kids, Sela is getting her book and I'm singing her her good night song, and she gives me the worlds largest hug and kiss and I put her in her crib, and she looks up at me with her big beautiful eyes, and says, Momma, "Where's my night night?" What I heard was, "Momma - I suffered last night, please please let me be a baby a little longer, you know you are dying to give me back my binky...after that hug and kiss, can you really deny me?"

I caved... conditionally. The binky is only for bedtime... and if we have any more problems with her tearing up her crib... then she will NOT have the binky any longer.

I swear she is still smiling in her sleep. You should have seen the pure joy in her face when I gave it back.

I may be a bad mom for caving... but I'm not sure two year olds understand forever. Last night was a forever for her... and after plenty of tears of my own, I decided I would really like her goodbye to her beloved binky to by a happy celebration, completed with a send off of the binkies to the binky fairy!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww, little, girly. I have to say she looks so peaceful there.

Jeanne said...

I'm glad you are letting her have another chance with her binky. That photo says it all! You're right...one night is forever in her mind and I'm sure your point was made.

I like the idea of sending the binky off in a celebration!

Caved, nah...I think you are a wonderful mom!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna...what a precious photo. I remember going through that with my daughter. You'll know when the time is right.

Heather said...

Hug that little girl tightly... she will be grown up before you know it. Sigh.

Kari said...

I love the story and the picture ... I'm sure every mom can understand your decision ;) I love what you "heard" her say!

Angela2932 said...

Oh, what a wonderful, wonderful photo! And I know you've thought long and hard about all this, but at some level, using a "binky" is a wonderful skill of self-soothing. It's a good thing to know how to do in this world we live in.

Carol said...

Shall I admit to doing virtually the same thing a few years ago with my boy?
Carol :-)

Dawn said...

you are a good mom!!!! the time will come and you will know (and so won't she) Trust me...there is times i wish i still had a binky!!

SusanD said...

This squeezes my heart!

Jackie said...

I remember my husband saying that my daughter wouldn't walk down the aisle with a bottle and wet pants...he was right :) Cave away