Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Letter to Zach

Oh Zach;
My boy who I love so deeply. My boy who can get under my skin like nobody else can. I can't believe it is almost time for me to drop you off at your first day of kindergarten.
You are so ready. You know all the "stuff" you need to know for school... your numbers (to 10 hundred gazillion million if I let you count that long - without asking you to take a rest), your letters, your sounds, how to sit and listen to the teachers.
You know how to be a caring boy. Too caring I worry. Please don't let the other kids make you cry... because they can be mean. And please don't make other kids cry... remember to be your sweet self.
Zach, I know I tell you to hurry up probably a 100 times a day... do me a favor and keep not listening... and I will try to slow down and savor these little every day moments that make up life.
I am so proud of you, and I don't tell you enough, but I think I am the luckiest mom in the world to have you for my son.
Now go do great in kindergarten - and when you are packing away childhood memories, please don't remember me nagging you to pick up your toys... remember the laughter of us tickling eachother, or how you can never get or recieve a kiss without rubbing it in. Always have that unrushed curiosity - to explore bugs and think about how things work. File away the special times of reading books together at night, because I know in a blink of an eye you will be telling me you can read your own book. Oh, and Zach, even if you need me less, every now and then, let me do little things for you, that let me cherish being your mama. I love you.

3 comments:

Tezra Williams said...

Sniff, sniff.

That is sooooo special Donna!!!

cathy said...

yeah! sniff sniff is right. very special!

bzh said...

This is the most beautiful thing I've read in years.
What a lucky boy to have such a wonderful mom.
xoxo.